Traditional Scouting is growing in Canada and we invite you to be part of it by joining the Canadian Traditional Scouting Association. You can join an existing group or start a new one. To learn about groups in your area, contact us.
Starting a new group is not difficult. Here are the steps:
- Talk to us: Let us know you are interested in starting a group. We’ll chat about our organization and help you decide if our Association is right for you. We are here to help.
- Build your team: Recruit adults to serve as program Scouters. Every youth program section (age group) needs at least two and the group as a whole needs at least three. Recruit a treasurer and other support volunteers as needed. Everyone needs to complete our adult screening process, starting with a Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check.
- Recruit youth: Young people are the reason Scouting exists.
- Find a meeting place: Many religious organizations, community centres, schools, etc. have spaces that are suitable for meeting and will donate their use to Scouting. A large room like a gym is ideal. Storage space is also helpful. Your group can show appreciation for use of the hall by providing service for the host organization.
- Complete your application forms: There is a charter application form for the group and a membership form for each person. Ask us for the forms.
- Complete your screening: All adults must complete our thorough volunteer screening process which includes a police record vulnerable sector check, interview, reference checks, and supervision.
What we provide
- Program events: Camporees, youth leader training, and overseas trips are among the program events your unit can participate in.
- Joint activities: Have a joint event between your unit and another unit.
- Adult training: Formal training course, the annual Scouters’ conference, and the annual Scouters’ weekend are all opportunities to deepen your knowledge about Scouting.
- Mentoring: Experienced Scouters are available by email, phone, or visit to help you succeed.
- Supplies: Our quartermaster supplies uniforms, badges, books, and other items needed for Scouting.
- Program ideas: Places to camp, things to see, activities to do. We have ideas to make your program shine.
As a part of our Scouting Association, you’re part of a team. We are here to help you succeed in bringing Baden-Powell’s vision to the 21st Century. Contact us to learn more.